The crisp is a not-too-distant relative of the crumble, however instead of a biscuity topping, you have a delightfully oaty one. This is another recipe from my Canadian days and is a failsafe addition to any dinner party. You can use apples, plums, peaches or pears for this recipe, just make sure you peel, core or remove stones where appropriate!
You will need:
- 6 cups peeled and chopped fruit
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Cream for serving
What to do:
- Place your fruit in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle on lemon juice.
- In a bowl mix together rolled oats, brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Rub together in your fingers until you end up with a well combined mixture. It will be utterly delicious, so definitely eat some while it’s raw. Om nom nom.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over fruit and pat down lightly.
- Bake at 190°c (375°F or gas mark 5) for 40 mins until the fruit is tender and the crumbly topping is evenly browned.
- Serve straight from the oven, or warm up beforehand. Pour a generous amount of double cream over your portion for an indulgent treat!