Let me start by saying these might be the easiest things in the world to make. They take about 20 mins to prepare and 20 mins in the oven – leaving you the rest of the hour to put your feet up and scoff them. I made them for my boyfriend and his two best mates when they were here for a boys night and they went down a treat.
For around 35 tartlets, you need:
- one packet of good quality ready rolled puffy pastry (leave in the fridge for as long as possible)
- around 20 cherry tomatoes
- a jar of pesto
- a small packet of soft goats cheese
- a handful of fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 180°c.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and set to one side. Line 3 large baking trays with baking parchment.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge. Using a long sharp knife (or scissors) cut into around 35 small squares, around an inch and a half height and width.
- Arrange the squares on the baking parchment, leaving a small space between each one. Top each square with a little blob of pesto, then a generous crumble of goats cheese. Keep the toppings in the centre of each square – leave some space around the edge. Pop a cherry tomato on top of each one.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until the tartlets are puffed and golden. While they’re cooking, chop some basil into small strips.
- Take them out of the oven and sprinkle with the fresh basil. Serve! Be careful – the tomatoes will be very hot inside.