NB – These pancakes are best made the night before you need them! It’s crucial to the fluffiness!
I first had these pancakes on a blisteringly hot morning in Adelaide, Australia. My godfather got this recipe from a friend of his, and it is quite simply one of the best fluffy pancake recipes I’ve ever come across. I know it’s weird to see vinegar on the ingredients list, but trust me, you won’t taste it at all. Best served with butter and lashings of maple syrup.
Serves 2-3 (double up for a family breakfast)
- 1 cup SR flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk with 1 tsp of white/apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 dessertspoon of melted butter
- Place all ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl and wisk until relatively smooth.
- Add the butter and mix until completely smooth.
- Cover with cling film and put in the fridge over night (or for at least 6 hours).
- Remove from the fridge, heat your frying pan to a medium heat and coat with spray or oil.
- Ladle out some mix into the pan. They are ready to flip when the bubbles appear.