Nothing says light and fluffy like the perfect home made meringue. They are phenomenally better than shop bought meringues as they are very light and slightly chewy. Perfect served with whipped cream and fresh fruit, or dipped in chocolate and eaten as a snack! N.B. These take about 4 hours to cook.
Makes 5-8 depending on how big you want them!
You will need:
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- 120g caster sugar
- Preheat your oven to 150°c and whip out your apron – this could get messy.
- Pop your egg whites into bowl and whisk on a low speed until they get lightly foamy. After a couple of minutes, turn the speed up to high and beat until they hit the stiff peak stage. The egg whites should be able to stand up on their own when you lift the beaters.
- Turn the mixer back up to high and very slowly add the sugar – about a tablespoon at a time. Beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Next line some baking sheets with baking parchment. Dollop your meringue mixture onto the tray – you should be able to make between 5 and 8. They don’t need to be even or super neat – they look nicer when they’re a bit rockier anyway. :)
- Pop them in the oven and reduce the temperature to 140°c immediately. Bake for 30 minutes then turn the oven off. Leave them to cool in the oven overnight (or for at least four hours).
- Serve with whipped cream and store in an airtight container. :)