Thought this was worth sharing – it’s SO easy to get caught out and end up with a fire!

This one happened when a ring was left on near some cookbooks. A woman was rescued and treated for smoke inhalation. (photo by LFB)

London Fire Brigade issues warning to amateur cooks after series of kitchen fires

The London Fire Brigade has today issued a warning to amateur chefs, following three cooking fires on Monday in the capital. Firefighters were called to three separate kitchen fires caused by people forgetting about their cooking and leaving the house.

The first one started at 0946 after a man in Romford left his home with something still cooking in the oven. Fortunately, his smoke alarm went off and his neighbours, who’d also spotted smoke, called the Brigade.

The second, just three hours later, saw residents in Carshalton leave their flat with mince still cooking on the hob. Firefighters had to break in to rescue their cat, who was seen in the front window suffering from smoke inhalation.

The third kitchen fire of the day was caused after someone in a communal flat in Harlesden put an electric hob on and went out. There were some cookbooks next to the hob, which caught fire (pictured). Crews wearing breathing apparatus rescued a woman from the attic, and she was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.

Chris Drew, the Borough Commander of Havering said:

“60% of all fires in the home start in the kitchen, which is why it is so important to be careful when cooking. You should never leave your cooking unattended, and you should definitely not leave home at any point when you’ve got something in the oven or on a stove. Always make sure you’ve turned everything off as soon as you finish cooking, and never store books or paper near your hob, as they are very flammable. Kitchen fires can be easily prevented with a bit of common sense.”

The Brigade attends around 4,000 fires in London kitchens every year, around three quarters of which are caused by cooking.

 

 


Print Friendly