This is a lovely, scrummy recipe! The quality of the pork makes it very tender and the sauce is rich and glossy. It’s perfect comfort food and great for your slow cooker. The combination of pork and prunes might sound odd, but it really works!
- 2 medium finely chopped onions
- 2 lbs pork fillet cut into 2-inch chunks
- 50 g butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper
- 20 prunes stoned and soaked overnight in 1 pint white wine
- 1-tablespoon red currant jelly
- ½ pint double cream
- Melt butter in a frying pan add the onion and fry gently for 10 minutes until softened and golden.
- Add the pork, increase the heat and sauté briskly until browned on all sides. Stir in the flour and salt and pepper. Cook for one minute.
- Add the prunes and wine and bring to a gentle boil stirring constantly. When sauce has thickened put into an ovenproof dish and cook for approx 1 hour at 180 degrees celcius.
- Alternatively you can place it into a slow cooker and cook for 6 hours.
- When pork is cooked stir in the redcurrant jelly and add the cream until sauce is thick and glossy. Do not boil.
- Serve immediately. This dish works well with mashed potato and steamed broccoli!