I’ve noticed a trend across blogs recently for bitesize mini cakes. Not wanting to miss out and in need of some cake to nibble on last night I whipped up a few of my own. These are a grown up treat as the icing contains brandy and the cakes are flavoured with a generous dose of cinnamon. You could of course reduce the cinnamon for a more subtle flavour if you’re not a cinnamon fiend like me, but don’t leave out the brandy otherwise the kids could pinch them! I’m not a parent but I’m sure those of you that are relish the chance to have a grown up treat that the kids can’t have.
I made these in mini silicone heart and star shaped cases, you could also use mini cupcake/petit four cases instead.
Ingredients – makes approximately 16 depending on the size of your cases/moulds
For the cakes:
- 2oz butter
- 2oz caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2oz self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp milk
For the icing:
- 75g butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 tsp brandy
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Make the cakes using the all in one method.
- Put all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a handheld electric mixer to whisk everything together until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between your cases and put them on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until risen and golden and the sponge bounces back when you gently press it.
- Cool on a wire rack and then remove from the silicone cases.
- For the icing beat the butter until smooth then gradually beat in the icing sugar followed by the brandy. Transfer the icing to a piping bag and then pipe swirls of icing on top of each cake.
If you enjoyed this recipe then please pop over to my blog where I have many more cake recipes http://bluekitchenbakes.blogspot.co.uk/