- 1 baguette loaf, sliced diagonally
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 roasted yellow pepper, peeled and cut into strips
- 100g (3.5oz) roasted macadamia halves
- 4 large handfuls of basil leaves
- 160g (5.5oz) unsalted macadamias
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 125mL (4 fl oz) olive oil
- 65g (2.5oz) freshly grated parmesan
- 1 /2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Make the pesto first: wash and dry the basil leaves thoroughly.
2. Put them in a food processor or blender with the macadamias and garlic and process until well combined. Scrape down sides and process again. Add the parmesan and salt, process again, then slowly drizzle in oil, keeping the machine running. Process until smooth. Scrape pesto into a tightly sealed jar or plastic container until ready to use – a film of oil over the top will help to preserve it.
3. Store in refrigerator.
4. Toast the bread slices in a moderate oven until just turning golden. Remove, cool and store in an airtight container until ready to use. Just before serving, spread each piece with the pesto.
5. Top with a slice of red and yellow pepper and scatter over a few roasted macadamia pieces.
Makes approximately 30 pieces.