This is a classic dish – a light sponge cake made from yoghurt and lemon, with the added touch of olive oil which gives the cake a unique taste and texture. You can also add your own personal touch by using flavoured yoghurts, or adding fresh or dried fruits to the mixture.
- 130g natural or lemon-flavoured yoghurt
- 110g Hojiblanca Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 230g sugar
- 300g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 15g baking powder
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC
- Grease and flour a baking tin, either round or rectangular.
- In a bowl, mix the yoghurt with the oil, sugar, eggs and lemon peel. Beat well until you get a creamy mixture. Sieve the flour and baking powder, then add to the yoghurt mixture, stirring until well mixed with no lumps. If you want, you can use an electric whisk.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the sponge cake has risen and is golden. Remember not to open the oven, especially in the first 15-20 minutes, so the cake doesn’t drop.
- Stick a skewer or knife into the centre of the cake to check that it is cooked – it should come out clean, without any traces of the raw mixture. If still slightly uncooked, leave the cake to cook for a few minutes more, checking again every 2-3 minutes until the skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven, leave to cool, then remove from tin.
Decorate as you wish, with icing sugar or a simple glaze of lemon and icing sugar. Thanks to the
Hojiblanca olive oil, this sponge cake stays soft and spongy for several days.
Recipe from Pepe Kitchen