This Hallowe’en, don’t waste your pumpkin innards! Make a delicious and nutritious soup from your jack’o'lantern! Guaranteed to give energy to even the most energetic trick or treaters!
You will need:
- A large knob of butter
- 1 large onion (or 2 small)
- 1 kilo of pumpkin guts
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 150ml creme fraiche
- Salt and pepper
- Pumpkin seeds to decorate (optional)
- Single cream to decorate (optional)
- First, chop your onion finely and gently fry in the butter on a low heat until translucent but not coloured. While the onion is cooking, remove all seeds from the pumpkin flesh and chop into large chunks.
- Add the pumpkin to the onions and cook until it softens.
- Once the pumpkin is soft (after about 10 mins), add the stock and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 mins until the pumpkin is very soft.
Add the creme fraiche and stir until well combined. Purée the soup (easiest with a hand held blender). Add more stock if you want a runnier consistency, or cook for longer if you need to thicken it. If you want a very smooth soup, you can seive it into another pan, however it should be pretty smooth as is.
- If you fancy it, toast some pumpkin seeds by popping them in a dry frying pan and stirring for 2-5 minutes. Swirl some double cream through the hot soup and sprinkle seeds on top.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread or buttered toast!