I don’t know about other vegetarians, but sometimes I miss having something deep fried with chips on the side. This is where the fantastic beer battered halloumi comes in, it’s quick, easy and tastes bloody amazing! Even if you’re not a veggie, this recipe is worth a try!
For 2 you’ll need:
- 65g plain white flour
- 15g corn flour
- 100ml vegetarian ale at room temperature
- 100 ml soda waster
- 225g halloumi cut in to 4 triangles
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer, or a heavy based pan (enough for deep frying) to 180 degrees, or until a bread crumb crisps and turns brown straight away.
- Make the batter by putting the flours, soda water and ale in a bowl and whisking until smooth, let rest for 15 minutes, then whisk again for around 30 seconds.
- Dust the halloumi with flour then dip in the batter and make sure it’s coated really well.
- Pop into the deep fryer or pan and fry until it’s a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oil and place on to some kitchen roll to remove the excess oil.
- Serve up with some homemade chips and peas and enjoy!
You can find more of my recipes here: www.hefskitchen.com