I first tried a “Clafoutis” when working for Café Rouge – they do lovely Raspberry Clafoutis – go and try them! This dessert is the French alternative to a Bakewell Tart – although not as sickly I find – another light dessert perfect for summer!
(You could possibly make this dessert with raspberries or even blackberries too!)
You will need:
- 85g flaked almonds/ ground almonds
- 25g plain flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- 375ml double cream
- 375g blueberries (3 packets)
- Preheat your oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C
- This recipe can be made in a pie/flan dish or a loose-bottomed cake tin. I used a pie dish, as I like to think of this as a pie… Butter your pie dish!
- Grind the almonds to a very fine powder (or simply buy ground almonds) in a small food processor then blend in the flour and salt.
- Add the sugar, whole eggs, yolks and cream. Whisk until creamy smooth. (If you’re making ahead, tip the batter into a jug at this point and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.)
- You can both scatter the blueberries in the bottom of your dish and allow them to rise randomly in the oven or do what I did and mix them into your Clafoutis mixture and then pour the whole mixture into your dish.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until risen and lightly firm. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with some single cream – lovely!