This recipe is very lovely for a nice summer’s day, it’s also very quick if you’ve gotten the hang of the pastry recipe (remember you can always freeze pastry ahead of time and defrost whenever you’re in the pie mood!) Remember not to over-whisk the mascarpone because this really does ruin the filling (trust me – I ruined mine haha)
You will need:
- 300g strawberries
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tub mascarpone
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, plus more for dusting
- 150ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
*Add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped hazelnuts to your pastry before you add your flour!
- To make the filling, tip the strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle on the caster sugar. Mix in the sugar and separate the strawberries into two different bowls – one for the topping and the other for the filling.
- Slice the filling strawberries into wafer-thin slices and lay on the base of your pre-baked pastry shell. Meanwhile, whisk the mascarpone with the icing sugar until combined and then whisk in the cream.
- Add the orange zest and 2 tbsp juice and whisk until thick – IF YOU WHISK TOO MUCH THIS MIXTURE WILL CURDLE!
- Spread into the pie and top with the strawberries, dusting with icing sugar for the pièce de résistance!