You will need: (serves 2)
- 1x large chicken breast (cut into small chunks)
- Risotto rice (one cupped handful per person)
- 150ml white wine (ideally Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1x Red/White onion – chopped
- 1x Red pepper (use green or a mixture if you prefer)
- 1x courgette
- 1x garlic clove – chopped finely/crushed
- 2x vegetable stock cubes
- 190ml of water per stock cube (or as instructions)
- chilli powder/paste
- marjoram – 2 tablespoons (dried)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Parmesan to serve
- Olive oil
1) Heat the a knob of butter and some olive oil in a frying pan
2) Add the onion and garlic and fry gently
3) After a few minutes add the Chicken and brown on all sides
4) Add the pepper and courgette once the chicken is browned
5) Add the rice to the pan and stir in with ingredients to coat the grains
6) Pour over the wine and mix in, and turn up the heat a little to reduce it down. Keep stirring the mixture.
7) Once the wine has almost disappeared, add in a ladle of hot stock, salt, pepper, a dash of chilli powder and a good helping of marjoram. Stir into the mixture and keep stirring.
8) As the rice absorbs the liquid you’ll need to add more stock. After the first 2 ladles of stock have been absorbed, add another and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
9) Keep stirring and checking the mixture, you’re looking for a creamy texture.
10) After about 10minutes of this, taste the rice, you want it to be slightly hard, but not chalky. If you’ve had risotto before you’ll know what I’m on about! If your mouth feels dry after eating some then leave it another few minutes and check again.
11) When the rice is ready, turn off the heat, grate over the parmesan, add in some freshly ground pepper, and a few small knobs of butter, cover with foil and leave to rest while you sort out cutlery, plates, drinks etc.
12) Remove the foil, stir the mixture well, and serve.